GROWING YOUNG FARMERS SCHOOL PROGRAM
To Educate, Encourage and Empower school students to grow and eat health-friendly organic food and do so as part of the official educational curriculum.
We also make sure they have FUN! In doing so, students experience and understand the true meaning of growing and eating LOCAL health-friendly organic food.
- The Program is available to all students from pre-school to high school.
- The Program is taught by our Grower Educators, who Educate, Encourage and Empower the students to grow their own food.
- The GYF School Program is offered as one-hour visits with most schools having multiple classes a day.
- The number of visits per class is dependent on the size of the food-growing area that is available to the Grower Educator, the number of classes participating, and the school budget.
- Teaching by the Grower Educators takes place predominantly outdoors. Classroom sessions occur depending on the lesson plan - and of course the weather!
- Organic Food-Growing Areas (gardens) are created on school property, or within a short and safe walking distance from the school.
- Grower Educators follow the guidelines as laid down in the GYFS School Program 'Manual'